Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Whats About to happen

So I think I need an overall theme for my site. Im gonna make it a wine blog with sick pictures because those are like the two of the best things combined!

Plus Im a wine major and wine is awesome.

Ok so heres the deal, over the next five days I will be covering wine regions of the world. They will contain inform on several topics ranging from history and climate to important wineries in the country. Basically, things that I think are important to that region. This Industry is diverse I am excited about wine and what it can bring for me after I graduate, and I want to continue to learn and taste wine whether that be here or some other country. I always will be interested in wine and its unique relationship with man and each of us who consumes it in this dynamic industr.

I want to start sharing ideas and start a network somehow with people in the industry and just talk about wine and ideas that we have. If you are reading this and are interested in learning about wine or just like drinking it and want to share something feel free to drop a comment or an email. I don't mind. Really.

Starting today I will be posting these outlines of selected wine regions around the world. The first will be South Africa who is emerging as a major player in the industry and in holiday of them hosting the World Cup in 2010 they will go first. Credit the pic goes to Wine Country Maps on Rick's WineSite™.




South Africa
1. History/Background information
One of only eight nations in Africa who produce wine.
B. Seventh in world production
C. Half of the wine produced is made into spirits and brandy, not wine.
D. First wines made over three hundred years ago by Dutch migrants.
E. Wineries are known and called by South African as wine farms.
F. United States and trade barriers until 1991

2. Production
A. Traditionally sold their wine to Europeans
B. By the mid 1990’s South African wines started to show up in US markets.
C. All the top wine districts are located strategically around Cape Town, which is located near a major port.

3. Wine Regions
A. Constantia
i. Small Region well established by the middle of the 16th century
ii. Sweet Muscat wine named after the region. It was known throughout Europe and may have been a personal favorite of Napoleon himself.
B. Paarl
i. Major Wineries
o Boschendal Estate
o Nederburg Wines
C. Stellenbosch
ii. Major Wineries
o The Bergkelder
o Kanonkop Estate
o Neethlingshof Estate
o Saxenburg

Please Note: this is by far my shortest one, they can only get better from here!

-ShaunJohn

No comments:

Post a Comment